Dr Pradeep Rao was brought up in Mumbai, the commercial capital of India. He graduated from the Grant Medical College and completed his General Surgery training from the Lokamanya Tilak Municipal General Hospital, Sion, Mumbai in 1994. He became a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 1995. After this in 1996, he joined the Muljibhai Patel Urological Hospital, Nadiad for Urology residency under the guidance of Dr Mahesh Desai and Dr S D Bapat and obtained the board certification in Genitourinary Surgery in 2000. During this period, he won the Dr R Seetharaman Essay prize from the Urological Society of India and the prestigious Dr G M Phadke traveling fellowship awarded by the USI.
He was a Visiting Fellow in Laparoscopic Urology with Dr Inderbir Gill in 2000 at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation. On returning from Cleveland, he was one of the earliest urologists to start doing laparoscopy in India.
Since then, he has been specializing in Endourology and Laparoscopic Urology with a primary interest in Stone disease and Laparoscopic Uro-oncology. He is attached to Mamata Hospital, Dombivli; Jupiter Hospital, Thane and is the Head of the Department of Urology at the Global Hospital in Mumbai.
He did the initial clinical trial for the LMA Stonebreaker device (published in BJU in 2006). In May 2007, he did the first ever Single Port Nephrectomy (among other Single port cases) using the R-Port and is credited with being a pioneer of this technology. These cases were initially presented at the World Congress in Cancun, Mexico and published in Urology (Gold Journal). He has been an integral part of helping develop the specialty of single port urological surgery. He was also involved with the initial trials of the BackStop device (published in J Urology)
He is a member of the LESSCAR working group formed to direct the future of Single Port surgery and has been invited to demonstrate live surgery and lecture on Single port surgery in Japan, South Korea, Germany, Venezuela, China, Indonesia, Hong Kong Vietnam, Colombia and Singapore.
He has more than 20 publications in peer reviewed journals. He has been a Guest editor of the Indian Journal of Urology. He has been on the editorial board of the Journal of Endourology and has authored chapters in various books including the latest edition of Smith’s Textbook of Endourology. Dr Praddep Rao is the best urologist in Mumbai,India ensure the best treatment for all urological conditions.
|Name||Dr. Pradeep Prabhakar Rao|
|Sex||M Date of Birth: 8th July 1967|
|Permanent Address||Pradeep, Ramnagar, Dombivli E, State:Maharashtra, Pin 421201, India|
|Permanent Licensure||Maharashtra Medical Council Reg No. 64877|
Medical Education & Qualifications
Medical Education & Qualifications:
M. B. B. S. – Grant Medical College & Bombay University. 1989
Diplomate National Board (D. N. B. General Surgery) – National Board of Examinations, New Delhi & L. T. M. Medical College & General Hospital. 1994
F. R. C. S. (Surgery) – Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK 1995
M. N. A. M. S. (General Surgery & Urology) – National Academy of Medical Sciences, New Delhi. 1995 & 2000
Diplomate National Board (D. N. B. Urology) – National Board of Examinations, New Delhi & Muljibhai Patel Urological Hospital, Nadiad, 2000
Diploma in Laparoscopic Urology – University Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg, France. December 2001
F.I.C.S. (Urology) – International College of Surgeons, October 2004
1 year rotating Internship – Sir J. J. Group of Hospitals, Bombay. 13th July 1989- 12th July 1990
S. H. O. (General Surgery) – 1 year – Sant Muktabai Municipal General Hospital, Bombay*. 21st Aug 1990- 31st July 1991
Registrar (General Surgery) – 6 months – Mulund Municipal General Hospital, Bombay*. 1st Aug 1991-31st Jan 1992
Registrar (General Surgery: Incl. A & E, Trauma) – 1 year – L. T. Municipal General Hospital, Sion, Bombay*. 1st Feb 1992- 31st Jan 1993
Registrar (Plastic Surgery) – 6 months – R. N. Cooper Municipal General Hospital, Bombay*. 1st Feb 1993- 31st July 1993
Registrar (General Surgery & Urology) – 6 months – Rajawadi Municipal General Hospital, Bombay*. 1st Aug 1993- 31st Jan 1994
Resident (Urology) – 4 years – Muljibhai Patel Urological Hospital, Nadiad. 1st July 1996 to 30th June 2000
Visiting Fellow – 8 weeks, July/Aug 2000 – Laparoscopic Urology, with Dr Inderbir Gill, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Dr Gill is a pioneer in the field of Laparoscopic urology for all Urological malignancies Visiting Fellow – 2 weeks, Sept 2000 – Pediatric Urology, with Dr Warren Snodgrass,Southwestern Children’s Hospital, University of Texas, Dallas, USA
Dr Snodgrass is a pioneer in field of hypospadias surgery & has devised the commonest technique used today for hypospadias repair.
Visiting Fellow – 2 weeks, Aug 2000 – Reconstructive Urology, with Dr Jack McAninch, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Dr McAninch is one of the leading authorities on Genitourinary Trauma & reconstructive urology.
Training in Laparoscopic Urology – Dec 2001- EITS (European Institute of Telesurgery), University Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg, France
*All these are teaching hospitals recognised by the University of Bombay for post graduate studies and are attached to a medical college.
Muljibhai Patel Urological Hospital, Nadiad is a superspeciality institute in Urology & Nephrology recognised for postgraduate teaching in Urology & Nephrology by the National Board of Examinations, New Delhi.It is one of the leading institutes in the world for training in urology & one of only 40 institutes world wide, recognized for fellowship training in endourology.
- Initial Clinical trials of the LMA Stonebreaker: October 2005
- Pioneer in Single port Laparoscopy using the R-Port: 1st cases May 2007
- Initial Clinical trials of BackStop: A new device to prevent retropulsion. 2008 – 09
- Cost Effectiveness of ESWL vs PCNL for renal calculi < 2 cms: An Indian Perspective. Indian Journal of Urology. September 2001
- Laparoscopic Ureterocystoplasty: A novel technique – Abstract , Journal of Endourology, September 2002
- Laparoscopic Orchidopexy: Is open orchidopexy dead? – Abstract , Journal of Endourology, September 2002
- Laparoscopic Augmentation Cystoplasty using Duplex Ureters – Abstract, Indian Journal of Urology, October 2002
- Evolution of the R-Port, Single port Laparoscopy – Abstract, J Endourology, October 2007
- Initial evaluation of a new pneumatic intracorporeal lithotripter. Rane A, Kommu SS, Kandasamy S, Rao P, Aron M, Kumar R, Gupta N BJU Int,2007 Sept;100(3): 629-32
- Scarless single port transumbilical nephrectomy and pyeloplasty: first clinical report. Desai MM, Rao PP, Aron M, Pascal-Haber G, Desai MR, Mishra S, Kaouk JH, Gill IS. BJU Int. 2008 Jan; 101(1):83-8
- Single-port-access nephrectomy and other laparoscopic urologic procedures using a novel laparoscopic port (R-port). Rane A, Rao P, Rao P. Urology. 2008 Aug; 72(2): 260-3; discussion 263-4. Epub 2008 May 12.
- Single-incision laparoscopic surgery: initial urological experience and comparison with natural-orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery. Raman JD, Cadeddu JA, Rao P, Rane A. BJU Int. 2008 Jun; 101(12): 1493-6
- The feasibility of Single Port Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy: A pilot study of 20 cases. Rao P, Rao P, Rane A, HPB (Oxford). 2008;10(5):336-40.
- E-NOTES: A new paradigm: Experience in 33 cases Pradeep Rao, Mihir M Desai, Inderbir S Gill, Abhay Rane, Prashanth P Rao The Journal of Urology – April 2008 Vol. 179, Issue 4, Page 238,
- Scarless single port transumbilical advanced laparoscopic surgery: Initial report of nephrectomy, pyeloplasty and partial nephrectomy Mihir M Desai, Monish Aron, Pradeep Rao, Georges-Pascal Haber, Shashikant Mishra, Jihad H Kaouk, Mahesh Desai, Inderbir S Gill. The Journal of Urology – April 2008 Vol. 179, Issue 4, Page 239
- Embryonic natural orifice transumbilical endoscopic surgery (E-NOTES) for advanced reconstruction: initial experience. Desai MM, Stein R, Rao P, Canes D, Aron M, Rao PP, Haber GP, Fergany A, Kaouk J, Gill IS. Urology. 2009 Jan;73(1):182-7. Epub 2008 Sep 16.
- Laparoendoscopic single site surgery in urology Irwin BH, Rao PP, Stein RJ, Desai MM. Urol Clin North Am. 2009 May;36(2):223-35, ix Review.
- Laparoendoscopic single-site surgery: initial hundred patients. Desai MM, Berger AK, Brandina R, Aron M, Irwin BH, Canes D, Desai MR, Rao PP, Sotelo R, Stein R, Gill IS. Urology. 2009 Oct;74(4):805-12. Epub 2009 Jul 30.
- The use of a novel reverse thermosensitive polymer to prevent ureteral stone retropulsion during intracorporeal lithotripsy: a randomized, controlled trial. Rane A, Bradoo A, Rao P, Shivde S, Elhilali M, Anidjar M, Pace K, D’A Honey JR. J Urol. 2010 Apr;183(4):1417-21. Epub 2010 Feb 20.
- Single-incision laparoscopic surgery – current status and controversies.Rao PP, Rao PP, Bhagwat S. J Minim Access Surg. 2011 Jan;7(1):6-16.
- Invited Chapter in Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia; editors M. Ramalingam, David Albala published by MacMillan
- Where do we really stand with LESS and NOTES? Gettman MT, White WM, Aron M, Autorino R, Averch T, Box G, Cadeddu JA, Canes D, Cherullo E, Desai MM, Frank I, Gill IS, Gupta M, Haber GP, Humphreys MR, Irwin BH, Kaouk JH, Kavoussi LR, Landman J, Liatsikos EN, Lima E, Ponsky LE, Rane A, Ribal M, Rabenhalt R, Rao P, Richstone L, Sawyer MD, Sotelo R, Stolzenburg JU, Tracy CR, Stein RJ; Endourological Society NOTES and LESS Working Group; European Society of Urotechnology NOTES and LESS Working Group. Eur Urol. 2011 Feb;59(2):231-4. Epub 2010 Nov 21.
- LESS and NOTES – A History and Introduction. Chapter in Smith’s Textbook of Endourology, 3rd Edition: Prashanth Rao, Pradeep Rao
- LESS in urology. Rao PP, Desai MR. Indian J Urol. 2012 Jan;28(1):53.
- Visualization Options – Invited chapter in ScarLESS Surgery; editors Abhay Rane, Inderbir Gill, Jeffrey Cadeddu; Publisher Springer
Presentations in Conferences
Presentations in Conferences:
- Laparoscopic Ureterocystoplasty: A novel technique – Video presented at World Congress of Endourology, Genoa , Italy, September 2002 1st Prize – Best Video – October 2002 – West Zone USICON, Nadiad, India
Laparoscopic Orchidopexy; Is open orchidopexy dead? – Video presented at World Congress of Endourology, Genoa, Italy, September 2002
- Suprapubic resection of Prostate: For a large median lobe – World Video Urology, Goa, India,April 2000
Suprapubic resection of Prostate: For a large median lobe – West Zone USICON, Jamnagar, India, September 1997. USICON 1997, Chandigarh, India
- Laparoscopic Nephrectomy – Initial experience in a suburban setup, USICON, Jaipur, India,2002
- Primary Obstructed Megaureter- A review: USICON 1997, Chandigarh, India
- Cost Effectiveness of ESWL vs PCNL for renal calculi < 2 cms: An Indian Perspective.USICON 1999, Bhubaneshwar, India
- Posterior Urethral Valves: Our long term follow up – WZ USICON, Goa, October 1999 1st Prize – Best Paper – October 1999 – West Zone USICON, Goa, India
- A review of 40 cases of Xanthogranulomatous Pyelonephritis. Poster presented at the Thirtieth USICON (Mumbai) Jan 1997. 3rd Prize – Vijayawada Poster Competition
- Laser Infundibulotomy in a calyceal diverticulum. Video World Congress of Endourology, Mumbai, November 2004.
- Initial Evaluation of the Stonebreaker, A new intracorporeal lithotripter. EAU, Berlin, 2006
- Single Port Nephrectomy : Initial Experience: Poster: World Congress of Endourology, Cancun, 2007
- Evaluation of the R-Port device: Poster: World Congress of Endourology, Cancun 2007
- Evaluation of a Novel Laparoscopic Access device: Video; World Congress of Endourology, Cancun 2007
- Combined TransVesical and TransUrethral Enucleation of the Prostate – A Novel Technique, AUA San Francisco; 2010
Awards / Prizes
Awards / Prizes:
- Prof. M. B. Gharpure Award for standing 2nd in Pharmacology in the University examination. 1987
- 3rd Prize Vijayawada Poster Competition. USICON 1997 at Mumbai.
- 1st prize Best podium paper. WZ USICON 1999 at Goa
- Dr G M Phadke USI traveling fellowship for the year 2000.
- Dr R Seetharaman memorial essay prize 2000 awarded by USI
- 1st Prize – Best Video – October 2002 – West Zone USICON, Nadiad, India
MEMBERSHIP OF SCIENTIFIC BODIES
MEMBERSHIP OF SCIENTIFIC BODIES
- Member, National Academy of Medical Sciences.
- Member, Urological Society of India (USI).
- Member, West Zone chapter of USI.
- Member, Society of Endourology
- Member, Indian Medical Association
- Fellow, Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh
- Member, American Urological Association
- Fellow, International College of Surgeons
- Member, Societe Internationale D’Urologie
- Member, European Association of Urology
- Dr Mahesh R Desai
President, Societe Internationale D’Urologie
Chairman, Department of Urology
Muljibhai Patel Urological Hospital
Nadiad, Gujarat, India
- Dr. S. D. Bapat
Director of Postgraduate Studies, Muljibhai Patel Urological Hospital, Nadiad
Ex. Professor & Head, Dept. of Urology,
LTMG Hospital & Medical College, Sion, Mumbai
- Dr Mihir Desai
Professor of Clinical Urology
Director, Center for Advanced Robotics
USC Institute of Urology
Keck School of Medicine
University of Sothern California